Kurt Andersen and Jian Ghomeshi, the host of Q, the CBC's daily arts and culture show go head to head in a cross-border cultural quiz. The North American showdown is the culmination to our month-long redesign project. While Studio 360 has been rebranding Canada, Q has been redesigning America.
Comedian Ophira Eisenberg, host of the new NPR quiz show Ask Me Another, plays the role of bi-national quizmistress. Born and raised in Calgary, Eisenberg now lives in the States.
Before you listen to the quiz and hear the answers, test your knowledge of the US and Canada. No Googling.
The Studio 360 / Q Cross-Border Cultural Quiz
1. Immigration reform is now a big topic in America's presidential race. But where exactly do immigrants to the United States come from? As you might expect, many come from Mexico, China and India. Can you name three of the remaining seven countries in that list?
2. Name the Canadian Prime Minister who said during the 1970 October crisis, "There's a lot of bleeding hearts around who just don't like to see people with helmets and guns. I just say: go on and bleed."
3. Canada exports a lot of things to the United States: oil, wood, female singer-songwriters. Who was the first female Canadian singer to hit #1 on American music charts?
4. Everyone knows about the American tourist destination known as the "Four Corners monument," where four states all meet at one point. If you started in Utah and walked clockwise around the monument, what states would you pass through, in order, until you got back to Utah?
5. You may be surprised to know that there is a Canadian Oxford Dictionary, filled with words that only true Canucks need to know. In 2004, the phrase "double double" was added to the C.O.D. What is a "double double"?
6. What American founding father advised this: "Love your Neighbour; yet don't pull down your Hedge."
7. In Ophira Eisenberg's home province of Alberta, which of the following is not a real place: Medicine Hat, Drumheller, Bummers Roost, or Head-Smashed-In Buffalo Jump?
8. Released in December of 1973, this American film was the first horror movie ever to be nominated for the Best Picture Oscar?