T.J. Lane, Ohio’s high school shooting gunman, has been identified (VIDEO) (UPDATE)

The Ohio high school student who opened fire at Chardon High School, killing three classmates and injuring two others, has been identified as 17-year-old T.J. Lane, The Cleveland Plain Dealer reported. A second victim, who was critically injured, died from his wounds on Tuesday, News Channel 5 reported

High school junior Nate Mueller, whose right ear was grazed by a bullet, identified Lane. 

Mueller said Lane approached him and his friends at their cafeteria table at 7:30 a.m. this morning. Mueller said he heard a gunshot behind him, and felt a sting on his ear.

More from GlobalPost: Ohio school shooting sheds light on past tragedies

"My friends were crawling on the floor, and one of my friends was bent over the table, and he was shot," Nate said. "It was almost like a firecracker went off. I turned around and saw [T.J.] standing with a gun and I saw him take a shot," he told the Plain Dealer. 

According to Mueller, one of his friends who was sitting at the table had recently begun to date Lane's ex-girlfriend, Slate reported

The Associated Press reported that one of the students injured in a shooting at Chardon High School in Chardon, Ohio today has died, based on information from Police Chief Timothy McKenna.

Four other students were shot and injured, the Plain Dealer reported. According to reports, the shooting took place at around 7:30 a.m. in the cafeteria. Chardon is located in northeastern Ohio.

The Geauga County Sheriff's Office and the FBI have told the Plain Dealer that a suspect had been arrested. A sheriff's official told reporters, "I am happy to tell you that the student that did the shooting is captured. He actually turned himself in to a couple of innocent bystanders just north of the city here in Chardon township," according to the BBC. The identity of the shooter has not been released.

Ambulances took the injured students away and evacuated remaining students after the school was on lockdown for an hour. A teacher chased the suspected shooter down a hallway, but he escaped from the high school and was later apprehended.

At 8:21 a.m. local time, local officials told parents that it may not be safe to stay close to the high school. A neighboring elementary school was also evacuated, then received students that were evacuated from Chardon High at 8:30.

CNN reported that a school board member said there had been two shooters.

WKYC reported: 

View post on X

Jeannette Roth, whose son Joshua was in the cafeteria when the shooter attacked, recounted his story: "Suddenly a boy 'stood up and started shooting, and then it was chaos,' the Plain Dealer reported.

Heather Ziska, 17, said she was in the cafeteria when they heard "popping noises" coming from the hall, and she recognized the shooter as a fellow student when he entered the cafeteria, according to the AP. She said everyone ran, some going outside, some running to the middle school and some locking themselves in the teacher's lounge.

SWAT teams arrived at 8:45. One shooter had a gun, and another friend acted as his accomplice, according to a report from a witness on Fox 8 News. The witness reported that rumors were swirling that a sophomore who tweeted about bringing a gun to school was the shooter.

Below is a live stream of local news coverage from Fox 8 News.

Watch live streaming video from fox8news at livestream.com
Sign up for our daily newsletter

Sign up for The Top of the World, delivered to your inbox every weekday morning.