World Boxing Council bans Dereck Chisora indefinitely


LONDON – Dereck Chisora has been suspended indefinitely by the World Boxing Council (WBC) for brawling with fellow British fighter David Haye after failing to beat reigning WBC heavyweight champion Vitali Klitschko in Munich earlier this month.

Haye had been attending the fight as a TV pundit, and turned up at the post-bout press conference to confront Chisora over allegedly changing his mind on a potential fight.

The pair traded blows, and Haye’s manager Adam Booth cut his head during the punch-up.

More from GlobalPost: Boxing rivals Chisora and Haye brawl at press conference

"The WBC is imposing a serious fine to be finally determined after a hearing to be held under the supervision of our counsel representative attorney Stephen Beverly," the organization said in a statement on Tuesday.

It imposed “an indefinite suspension against fighting again for a WBC title” upon Chisora, and demanded that the 28-year-old receive anger management treatment before it would consider whether the ban should be lifted, according to Reuters.

The Zimbabwe-born Londoner, ranked 14th in the WBC’s heavyweight division, is to have his name removed from the organization’s rankings, the BBC reports.

In addition to his violent post-match confrontation with Haye, the WBS also took into account the fact that Chisora slapped Klitschko at the weigh-in and spat water at the Ukrainian’s brother, Wladimir, shortly before the first bell, according to The Guardian.

“Boxers are gentlemen,” the organization said, “and show to the world an example of honor and fair play when, after a tremendous battle, they go the center of the right to pay respect to each other.”

“Derek Chisora is not going to tarnish the sport for those born in the humblest of beds, who become sports heroes of the world to live a life of dignity and pride.” 

Sign up for our daily newsletter

Sign up for The Top of the World, delivered to your inbox every weekday morning.