UK to overhaul border agency after scandal

The troubled UK Border Agency will undergo a massive shake-up after hundreds of thousands of people were let into the UK without being checked, according to the Associated Press.

British Home Secretary Theresa May told the House of Commons Monday that border security checks at ports of entry had been regularly suspended or applied inconsistently for a number of years without any government oversight.

May also said, according to the BBC, that students from low risk countries had been allowed to enter the United Kingdom even when they did not have the proper visa clearance.

The comments came after an investigation by the UK Border Agency, which also found that checks from a warning list were not carried out on about 500,000 European nationals travelling to the UK by train from France and that ID checks were suspended 482 times between June 2010 and November 2011, including 463 times at Heathrow airport.

The investigation and subsequent report came at the heels of the dismissal of Brodie Clark, the former UK border chief, last November after being accused of lifting passport checks in order to cope with passenger numbers, says the Guardian.

The Home Secretary has said that the border agency will likely be split in two after the recent revelations.

According to Wales Online, May is quoted as saying that the UK border force "needs a whole new management culture."

"From foreign national prisoners to the asylum backlog to the removal of illegal immigrants, it has reacted to a series of problems instead of positively managing its responsibilities," she is quoted as saying.

Sign up for our daily newsletter

Sign up for The Top of the World, delivered to your inbox every weekday morning.