‘Collar bomber’ Paul Douglas Peters pleads guilty to attaching a fake bomb to the neck of Australian schoolgirl Madeleine Pulver

MELBOURNE, Australia — A 50-year-old investment banker has pleaded guilty to breaking into a mansion in Sydney, Australia and attaching a fake bomb to the neck of 18-year-old schoolgirl Madeleine Pulver.

Paul Douglas Peters appeared briefly in Sydney's Central Local Court by video link and pleaded guilty to aggravated breaking and entering, and committing a serious indictable offense, Sky News Australia reports.

Peters, nicknamed the 'collar bomber' by local media, was arrested in a suburb of Louisville, Kentucky in Aug. 2011, two weeks after the incident.  He has been in custody in Australia since Sept. 24. 

More from GlobalPost: Collar bomb hoax suspect in Sydney jail

AFP describes how on Aug. 3 Peters entered the home through the unlocked front door, wearing a mask and carrying a baseball bat.  He cornered Madeleine Pulver in her bedroom as she was studying for school exams.  He attached a black box to her neck with a bicycle lock, and left a note saying it could only be opened safely if the girl's parents complied with his terms and conditions.  

It took police, bomb squad and other emergency services almost ten hours to remove the device.

More from GlobalPost: Brave girl emerges after 10-hour necklace bomb horror

Outside court, his lawyer Kathy Crittenden told reporters Peters was "profoundly sorry" for the Pulver family, the Herald Sun reports.

The father Bill Pulver said:  "Today's guilty plea brings closure to a crime that remains a mystery and random to us in our minds as it did back on August 3."

Its believed that Peters was trying to extort money from Madeleine Pulver's family, the ABC says.

Peters will appear in court again on Mar. 16.

More from GlobalPost: Xerox Series – Chinese cars, made in Bulgaria

Sign up for our daily newsletter

Sign up for The Top of the World, delivered to your inbox every weekday morning.